3/10/07

TOO BAD YOU'RE NOT ME

I woke up today, like most Saturdays, expecting a pretty routine day. I did some laundry, did some sewing, made my bed, re-hung my freshly washed bedroom curtains, ate my left over tuna fish sandwich for breakfast, and spoke to Claudia. We made plans to do some errands, one of which was to check out Staples, where she was hoping to get a new All-in-One printer, scanner, copy machine. She also wanted to buy me present...a Logitech webcam... just like hers, so we could view each other as we chit chatted (for free!) while she's on her annual trip to Australia. It was very kind of her to offer to buy me the webcam, but I really couldn't let her. Believe me, I was more than happy to ante up the money, and buy it myself.

BUT... I apparently had NO problem letting her buy me a BRAND NEW HP PHOTOSMART ALL IN ONE PRINTER! Sure... the $50 item, I buy. The couple hundred dollar item, SHE buys! How'd that even HAPPEN??

Well, here's how.

Entering Staples, I was actually pretty much content with the Dell printer I already have. It never even entered my MIND that I'd be coming home with a replacement. But, one thing led to another and the next thing you know, Jay, obviously Staples' Salesman of the Year, was telling us how crappy Dell printers are. They are apparently made by Lexmark, with Dell's name simply slapped onto it. Then we learn that HP is WAY better and even though Claudia went in with the intention of buying a Cannon printer, the HP, so we're told, does a far better job of printing photos. Thus, it basically met all of Claudia's requirements to a higher degree. We asked a thousand questions, all of which Jay patiently and happily answered and the next thing I know, Claudia asked him if he had two available. Lucky for ME, he did.

Turns out Claudia said she owed me money, but she kinda lied. She really didn't, since I told her a month ago, I wasn't going to accept repayment from one of our OTHER spending sprees. Then Claudia says: No, really. I'm buying this for you. And, not because she wanted to be so benevolent, although she WAS. But, more importantly, because she wanted me to have one too, so that when she has no clue how to operate her new printer, I'll know exactly how to help her! Now THERE'S a great set up, if ever there was!!

Within minutes, I took a far DEEPER interest in her purchase and was throwing out questions left and right to Jay. Boom. I had a new PHOTOSMART ALL IN ONE PRINTER! What a day, huh! Immediately, I was piling up my basket with not only the webcam, but also with extra ink cartridges, supplies, and anything else I might need for my new toy.

No WONDER I'm thrilled Claudia moved here. Forget how happy I am to once again feel complete by having my sister and/or best friend living within minutes of me. Forget about how great it is speaking to her 3 times a day on the phone. And forget about having someone who is absolutely crazy about me and thinks I'm a multi-talented genius. Better than all that, SHE BUYS ME GREAT PRESENTS!

On the other hand, maybe Claudia felt badly about her bitching at me the enTIRE friggin' time we were in Lowe's, a stop I needed to make on the way to Staples. Even my reminding her of all the patience I showed while she shopped setting up her new, stunning home, didn't stop the complaining. But... you know what? She didn't REALLY buy me this present out of guilt. Instead, she bought it because she's the best sister alive. More importantly, she loves me as much as I love her. And now... I also love my new printer, too! What can I say other than: too bad you're not me.

No comments: