3/22/07

THANKSGIVING FEAST FOR EASTER DINNER

As we speak, I'm defrosting a Thanksgiving turkey in my sink. Too bad it's almost Easter. More importantly, too bad I don't even WANT to be defrosting this bird, let alone be cooking it. But I simply have no choice. I HAVE to cook it. There's no room in my freezer to store it!

Here's how it all went down.

First of all, my house is really small. Thus, my refrigerator is pretty small. And, my freezer is even smaller. Which is why I had trouble acclimating myself to it when first I moved in. Bear in mind, I originally came from a 5 bedroom home, nice sized pool, etc. etc. And... I had a nice sized side by side refrigerator/freezer. In addition... I ALSO had a nice sized ADDITIONAL freezer in the garage. So... you can well imagine the sort of adjusting I had to do while getting used to this baby set up I now have.

Secondly, last Thanksgiving my local grocer gave me a free turkey. But... I didn't host Thanksgiving last year. ENTER: DILEMMA. Where to store this huge bird. There was no WAY it would fit in my own freezer.

DILEMMA SOLVED: I headed over to my next door neighbor's house. A neighbor who is here maybe 6 weeks a year. She had PLENTY of room in HER freezer. Boom. My storage space was immediately doubled. Uh.... until three days ago, anyway. Get this... SHE SOLD HER HOUSE. Damnit. So much for my extra freezer space.

The closing was on Monday, so lickety split I had to head over to reclaim Mr. Tom. Just what I wanted... to start baking a huge sized turkey on a Thursday night in the middle of March. What the hell am I going to DO with it all, anyway? Pretend it's November?? Geez... what a scam-o.

So as I see it... I have two options. 1.) Have a huge Easter Dinner next month and pretend the turkey is really a Honey Glazed Easter Ham or 2.) Have an impromptu dinner party NOW and pretend it's really Thanksgiving, which means I'll have to run out and stock up on stuffing, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie and all the other trimmings.

Or... maybe I can consider a third option: Cook the delicious turkey, enjoy a few slices of fresh turkey breast and then... FREEZE THE REST. Talk about being right back where you started from.

No comments: