3/4/07

SWEET TREATS

On my honor, I will try: To serve God and my country, To help people at all times, And to obey by the Girl Scout Laws. If memory serves me correctly, such was the Girl Scout Promise I recited each time we had troop meetings way back in 1955/56. I can't remember exactly what my Brownie Promise was, but probably something very similar.
I was thinking about this the other day because it's that time of year again... Girl Scout Cookies are on sale! Frankly, as a Girl Scout way back in the 50s, I have no clue whether or not I sold cookies. Can it BE that I didn't? Geez... this is definitely something that had I done it, I'd certainly have memory of it. I'll bet I probably just ate my way through this project.
I DO remember an attempt, however, at earning my Roller Skating Badge which trust me, if I got it, I didn't deserve it. There is NO way I was into moving around like a free spirit on mere one inch little wheels. Swimming... I was like a fish. Roller Skating... I was like an idiot. Which is why I was ALWAYS jealous when about 15 years ago, I first saw people on their in-line skates, whizzing by me and practically doing flips right up in the air, only to fall perfectly right back to the ground on their teeny tiny baby wheels. Talk about a FEAT of the FEET.

Anyway, as most of you might know, I rarely go food shopping. Instead, I like sending my housekeeper to the store with my list of Things To Buy. I developed a hate of groceries about 16 years ago, which probably came about as a result of having to shop weekly, when I was raising my family. I had to take my house help WITH me, given one basket was never enough to house all the items I needed. I guess I liked keeping my shelves fully stocked at all times. Kinda like: a grocery store! Thus, MY basket was full. And HER basket was full.

As a result, I gave up doing groceries forever. Which is a great thing. What's NOT so great is that because of it, I now never know WHEN GIRL SCOUT COOKIES ARE ON SALE! And, who would ever want to miss out on such an event? What? Pass up my yearly purchase of Samoas?? Which by the way, they've now renamed to: Caramel Delights. Thin Mints were never my forte. Samoas, on the other hand, bingo. A definite pleasure.

An apparent waning pleasure however since, get this... when my housekeeper brought me three boxes of these cookies a couple of weeks ago, I stored them in my GIRL SCOUT COOKIE STORAGE AREA and guess what? I found a box of upopened cookies left over from LAST year! Wow. Talk about out of sight, out of mind! Which only means... if you're into these cookies, then come on over! I can supply you for yet another year with these delicious high carb treats! Together we can discuss why it is that Girl Scouts sell cookies, but Brownies never sell brownies. Now THERE'S an idea.

No comments: