3/2/07

Rx

Yippee! Today I had a medical checkup and I gladly paid the doctor's bill for co-payment, given I was handed such a good bill for the state of my HEALTH! Now THAT'S the kind of news I love. Better yet, in the past 10 months, I actually lost 7 pounds! See? I TOLD you something crazy was happening to me. My sugars are at a perfectly fine level. My blood pressure is spiffy. And my overall health is in good stead. Wow... who could ask for more?

I happen to love my doctor. In fact, last year she admired a purse I made, so as way of bribery to take on my sister as a new patient, I asked her what her favorite color was and boom! I made her a purse just like mine. So basically, she has good taste, in ADDITION to having her medical license. Plus, I love her hair. It's kinda wild and wavy... my all-time favorite look. SHE probably hates it since I bet it's a pain in the ass to control, but I myself would give an eye tooth to have so much hair.

I also love that you walk in, tell her the 5 favorite prescriptions you want and BAM. Without skipping a beat, she'll write a script for all 5 of them. Case in point... Every year I ask for 30 Ativan. In my mind, no woman should ever be without this, given you just never know when something is going to give you an occasional sleepless night and you'll need to reach for a calming potion of sorts. Let alone, when your heart might start pounding because some idiot has REALLY upset you.

Each year I also ask for a prescription of Zithromax since you also never know when a sore throat or bronchial infection might suddenly occur. And since I'm pretty much attuned to my own body, better than anyone, I know when I'm sick. Thus, from life long experience, I know exactly what makes me well again. Antibiotics are my friends. Best of all, I don't have to start haggling over getting an app't to be seen only to find out it's exactly the same diagnosis I've already given myself. Consequently, by the time others are walking into the office, I'm into my medicine cabinet, already half way back to feeling perfectly well again.

I got a couple of other prescriptions too, to have "just in case". This way, whenever I am out of town, I never have to worry about being caught off guard. Have meds, will travel. Hey... isn't this what the Girl Scouts taught me? Be Prepared! Lastly, I got clear clarification for my always present dilemma... seasonal stuffed nasal passages vs. seasonal runny nose and/or watering eyes. Or, in medical terms: steroids vs. antihistimines. Since allergies can take either path for presenting themselves, I figured I best get it directly from the horse's mouth.

Okay... so one check up down. Three to go. Cardiologist, gynecologist and dentist are next on my list of yearly visits. And, while none of them can compare to my regular doctor in favoritism, I have no fear they, too, will find me in good health. Talk about PRICELESS. Which reminds me... my medical insurance went up $80 this year.

No comments: