3/21/07

BARGAIN BASEMENT

I got some great bargains today... from the basement. And, I'm not talking Filene's Basement, either. I'm talking MY basement. So much for all those folks who support the idea... and I'm actually one of them... that if you haven't worn a piece of clothing in the past year, get rid of it. Forget about it. Throw it out. As it turns out, however, it's a good thing I didn't follow my own advice.

I live in a pretty small house. And, I have pretty tiny closets. Which is not good for a person who not only has a lot of clothes, but who also WEARS a lot of clothes. And shoes. And accessories. And handbags. In fact, if I were so inclined, I could easily mix and match my outfits so that no two were ever worn more than once in, let's say, an entire year! Amazing, huh?
I've got favorites, of course, thus I AM also heavy into my uniforms. On any given day, I could easily be spotted wearing one such uniform... like one of my gaucho pants, for instance. I wear several of those ALL the time. I also wear my crops pants a lot. And, certainly, my ballet styled flats. I have hordes of T shirts in hordes of colors. Mix and match all these and boom. I'm in one of my uniforms. What's really crazy though, is that while I have these zillions of colors in my wardrobe, you can almost BET I'm wearing black. For my house, it's white. For my clothing, it's black.

Lately, I've been wearing a lot of skirts and dresses. I don't do "fads" so my timeless clothing really does carry me from year to year. My former hubby loved seeing me in skirts thus bingo. I've got MANY. He of course is now viewing some OTHER babe in dresses, etc. but whatever. And, I take good CARE of my clothing thus no wonder I've collected so much. I'm a regular discount warehouse.

Anyway... about the bargains. I have 3 closets in my house. You'd think they'd be enough to house my clothing and accessories but no such luck. Down in my basement is where I have the REST of my clothing and necessities... that which have sort of taken a back seat for one reason or another to the favored house wardrobe. Some are hanging. Some are in zippered containers. Some are stacked in boxes. It's kinda like an organized state of confusion down there.
When I was in the basement today, I happened to check out some of the demoted clothing. Lo and behold... I found 5 pieces that I thought worthy of bringing back to the A List. Whamo. 5 new outfits for the one small cost of taking a walk downstairs. How's THAT for a bargain? In fact, one of the dresses I'll even be wearing to school tomorrow!

Which I'm kind of hoping Marcus doesn't notice. He's a student of mine who came up with a statement today, in front of 3 other students, that completely floored me. I don't even remember why he brought it up, but he tells me... YEAH, AND YOU'RE RICH, TOO. Huh?? I'm rich?? What is THAT all about?? Which pretty much is how I reacted to Marcus. I was shocked.... thus I just had to ask him: Where would ever get THAT idea? Another student answered: Because you wear a long gold chain and look at all your clothes. Whoa... are THESE four kids in for a startling surprise. They should only KNOW how so not rich I am.

SO not rich, that I've apparently now taken to doing my shopping in a BASEment. My own basement, no less. Like how much does THAT point to my not being wealthy? Talk about fooling some of the people... some of the time.

No comments: