3/8/07

POSITIONS

Ha! And you thought this was going to be about POSITIONS. Well, in a way it is, but not THOSE positions. Instead I'm talking: yoga positions.

Every day I practice yoga. You'd almost think I'd have the figure of a Prima Ballerina by now, but no such luck. That notwithstanding however, I love my yoga sessions. I particularly love the pose you see there on the left. It's called the DOWNWARD DOG POSE and It signifies the last position of my workout. And... it's one of the most comfortable poses you can ever imagine. Really.

I first began doing yoga in my mid 20s. Boy, what a difference 30 years can make! Forget the headstand bit. No way I can ever recreate THAT again. I'm more into the "senior citizen" poses now. But, regardless, they seem to do the trick. My favorite time of day to practice is about 4 o'clock, since that seems to be the peak hour for my body bending ability. Back in the good ole days, my the peak hour for my MIND bending was about 8 o'clock, but that was only because it was then that everyone around me had already finished their daily responsibilities and could FINALLY get out the strainer and rolling papers. Today of course, I'm showered and ready for bed by 8. A mere sign of the times, I guess.

I love going online and checking out the pictures of yoga poses. Although I already have a pretty well established 35 minute routine, I still like seeing what's what. You should SEE some of these poses! Talk about being a contortionist! You'd have to have the flexibility of a rubber band to get in some of these positions! The CORPSE POSE is more my style. For that, you lay on the floor, on your back, completely still. MY kinda pose, if ever there was. While the position is highly recommended, I don't normally include it, given I already do this for a good 8 hours each night, right in my comfy bed.

I have several other poses that are my favorites, yet you know what? I'm almost thinking that the time is pretty near for to begin to stretch my limits. No pun intended. My flexibility has increased dramatically and I'm probably ready for a couple of "more intenstified" positions. I'm going to have to go back to the net and recheck the possibilities.
The one thing I DON'T want to do is happily begin my yoga deal only to end the session with a broken back or destroyed knee. Of course, I'll have to choose the added positions carefully since just today I began sporting, according to the Linda School of Medicine, a slight pulled groin muscle. I probably got it from my LEAST favorite pose whereby I sit on the floor, spread my legs apart, bend over from the waist, grab my ankles and pull my head down to touch my knee. Which means, maybe I WILL add The Corpse to my workout, afterall.

No comments: