3/17/07

NIGHT ON THE TOWN

Last night I felt like a real grownup. First of all, for some reason, it was winter all over again. As in: temps down to the low 30s. Thus, I had to not only dress up, but, dress warmly, as well. I was going to a pretty spiffy restaurant for a spiffy celebration with a couple of spiffy friends.

I was wearing my favorite warm dressy outfit... my long black palazzo pants, my black crew neck sweater and my black 2 inch high heeled boots. It's a great look that I love. Actually, the last time I wore this, I think it was Laura who said something along the lines I just HAD to be "meeting" someone given this isn't the run of the mill look that I normally sport. I think she might have been guessing: a tryst, maybe?? Anyway, my makeup and hair was all dolled up and I had on some terrific, glitzy jewelry. Bingo. I looked VERY grown up. And, very cosmopolitan.

Which I think is an interesting word. A few weeks ago, a couple I know asked me to join them because they wanted to introduce me to a friend of theirs. I was happy to do so and only later did I find out that when describing me to this friend, they described me as a "very cosmopolitan" woman. Now THERE'S a description I don't hear very often; especially when speaking of me. Actually, I kinda like it. Who would have ever thought? Me... straight from the streets of Manhattan! It's almost gotta make you laugh.

But... getting back to last night. As I was dressing, I decided to not only dress like a grownup, but to dine as one, also. Thus, I was going to order THE most delicious sirloin steak, not even saying boo about the pricing. I could taste dinner watering in my mouth before I even left home.

What REALLY made me feel like a grown up, however, was that I had also decided... tonight I'm ordering a cocktail! Something I almost NEVER do. Believe you me... it's a major night on the town alright, when Linda has a big deal adult like drink before dinner. Often friends will almost applaud me when I do. So... What drink did I order??

Why, a Cosmopolitan, of course!

God, it was delicious. And, the cocktail glass it was served in was stunning. And... the effects of this Cosmopolitan hit me in a mere 4 sips. Bingo. I was having the time of my life in minutes flat! Most importantly, I actually FINISHED the drink. I felt sooooo grownup, it was amazing! Hence, this was INDEED a big, real live grown up night out for me.


On the other hand, this in no way precludes my OTHER favorite spots... the first being my local diner. Where actually, I'll be meeting another set of friends tomorrow, for an old fashioned southern breakfast. I'm into the "hungry man" kind of meal. Only I can walk out of this diner with a tab WAY higher than everyone else's. The second favorite spot is one of my favorite sandwich shops. Get this... it's connected to a gas station! I love keeping it on my sight seeing tours for visitors. Talk about getting the FEEL for a small town. Geez... I bet even Mayberry didn't have THIS kind of set up. But then again, Mayberry is far from being cosmopolitan... Although I AM hoping their bars serve one.

No comments: