2/16/07

BACK IN THE GROOVE

When raising my family in many moons ago, music was a driving force in our home. No wonder. MTV had just come about, my live in help was heavy into George Michael, and the kids themselves kept me pretty much up to date about what was happening in the world of music. Naturally, they heard all my favorite artists/songs playing over and over, and I taught them best of Rock and Roll that I possibly could. Case in point: to hate Heavy Metal and to respect Elvis Presley. I also shared with them the best of classical symphonies and yes, the best of rock operas. Just last weekend, my son told me how little he appreciated the stage production of TOMMY when we had taken him, but what can you expect from a then 12 year old. NOW of course, he's duly impressed.

For personal reasons I think, once I left South Florida, the frequent sound of music never permeated my new home like it used to. Even when alone in the car, I'd tune into NPR way more often than I played my CDs. But, today, right out of the blue, things seem to have taken on a new dimension.

I was busy in the kitchen, prepping for dinner guests tonight. The closest CD player is the one in my dining room... it's part of the battery operated portable TV that I keep for power outtages, etc. Which got me to thinking: I NEED 3 CD players in one small house?? Apparently, I do.

In the meantime, I decided I wanted to listen to the radio and spent about 6 minutes trying to tune into NPR. Bingo. I got the signal. It was then that I noticed there was a CD inside, all ready to be played at the tap of a button. So... I tapped it. Turns out, the CD was one of the many I personally mixed a couple years ago. Except THIS one was the absolute best.

It had ALL the best music I've ever heard and loved and in no time flat, I was singing, strutting, cooking and smiling. I was into heavy duets with Ray Charles, Bruce Springstein, Conway Twitty, Tina Turner, Wynonna Judd, Kenny Rogers, Paper Tiger, Ivory Joe Hunter, Bonnie Raitt, Beach Boys, etc. etc. I'm so telling you... I deserve a GOLD MEDAL for this ingenious mix. And, this genius deal of mine goes on for over an hour and a half! As we speak, Bruce is serenading me to BORN IN THE USA. I can't tell you how happy listening to this CD is making me.

What I'm NOT so happy about is Michael Jackson. When his tune, BLACK AND WHITE was playing, I couldn't help but think how he absolutely f-ed up his life. And, my listening pleasure as well. I was totally into MAN IN THE MIRROR, THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL and THRILLER. Talk about a wasted life. HOWever... there are plenty of other artists who have won my rockin' romantic heart and to them I say: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. The joy your music has brought me is timeless. Better yet, it's DEFinitely helping me to get back in the groove.

No comments: