2/18/07

AHHH... TO BE YOUNG AGAIN


Wow. Talk about time flying when having fun. The first shot here is a picture of me that Robin brought along when she visited this weekend. It was taken 13 years ago at my brother's 50th birthday party. I was a mere 45 years old then. The photo brought be back to younger days when I was a wife, mother, step-mother and yes, a sun-worshipper, too. Take a look at that bronzed skin! To this day, I still miss my pool. But, better yet, take a look at my high priced curly hair! God, I loved that. I'd love to have it again, too.
But, alas, what I now have instead, is what you see in the picture just below it. THAT photo was taken a couple of days ago. When looking at it, I became well aware that my 60th birthday will occur just about a year from now. Which believe me, you'll hear all about when the time arrives in May '08. Yet in spite of my being older in the 2nd photo, I have to say.... there is something about the expression in my face that I kinda like. When looking at it, I sense a peace of mind and graceful aging.

I'm getting old, I know that. But at 45, I was on top of my game. Menopause had brought me to a wonderful new place. I was on the brink of a lot of creativity. I dared to take risks. Hormonal changes heightened my sexuality and my inner strength was gearing up for some mighty powerful life changes. I felt as if I was at a place where I approached what could be me. Not what should be me.
So, while indeed I'm aging, being where I am today has nevertheless brought me a serenity and independence I never imagined I'd be able to recapture. Emotional roller coaster rides have once again returned to blissful, grounded stability. Listening to my inner voice has been honed to pretty much a reliable science. Mistakes, few as they may thankfully be, have become life lessons. Yessiree... I have a great faith in myself and a strong belief I am way ahead of most of the crowd when it comes to intelligence. Okay... so modesty needs a little work. Whatever.
To what does all this boil down? NEWS FLASH: I'm definitely One in a Million. Youth or no youth. Subsequently, for all those Linda Wannabees (what? there aren't any??) sorry, Charlie. No way you can even come close to the real deal. Older and wiser, life is currently good for me... so good in fact, that the only pain I ever suffer is knowing that while I spoke to my brother on HIS 59th birthday, he'll never be able to speak to me on mine. Damn, I miss him.

No comments: