10/26/07

TIDY BOWL

Right after I moved into my house, I was told by several people I should consider getting an all-in-one home warranty for all appliances, plumbing, air/heat system, etc. It sounded like a pretty good idea, given my house was not a new one, and in fact, I DID buy this warranty bit. It's cost is minimal considering what you COULD pay to replace everything that makes your house run. It works pretty easily, too.

You call this company, tell them about your house, they say thanks and boom. You send them a check. You don't need to supply details, documents, ANYthing. In turn, they give you coverage on almost everything in your house, and should you ever need repairs, they send someone out. What could be better? Granted, you have to pay a minor service charge for the guy to come check out the problem, but your warranty covers parts and labor. Makes no difference how old your house is, either. I can't figure out whether this is a scam or not, but who cares. It works! As it happens, almost everyone I know who has this contract, has not only had repairs and/or parts replaced, but a few have also had the entire ITEM replaced. BIG items, too. Last week, it was my turn.

I've spoken before, of my guest toilet. Took me a while, but I finally figured out exactly which knob I need to play with every so often, so the water doesn't run after flushing. THAT, I've now got down pat. But, right about the day my father passed away, BOOM. The master toilet goes on the fritz. No flushing, no water fill, non stop running, etc. Whatever could be broken, was. Geez. Just what I needed. It took me almost no time at all to pick up the phone, call the warranty company (I have no clue where the home office is) and told them: QUICK! SEND SOMEONE!

Am happy to say... not only did they send someone, but get this. THEY GAVE ME A BRAND NEW FANCY SCHMANCY TOILET! For the mere cost of a service call, no less. I am now the new owner of a Kohler low boy, one piece, whatever, toilet. IT WORKS GREAT. And, looks pretty spiffy, too. The guy even came out on a Saturday morning to install it. He apparently had to hurry so he could enjoy visitation with his young son, but I was delighted with his installation nonetheless. I guess my ace in the hole was that my original toilet was a high end sort and lucky for me, the company that made it, no longer supplies parts for it. YIPPEE. Talk about one man's trash being another man's treasure.

In truth, it was never my toilet that I ever imagined would need replacing. What I am REALLY concerned about is my heat pump. It not only heats the house, but cools it as well. THIS item has caused me no problems whatsoever, BUT trust me... it's days are numbered. I think about it often and can only PRAY that when it bites the dust, the warranty company will be right there to swallow it up. Without choking, of course.

No comments: