10/21/07

DAD

What an f-ing week. This has been so crazy you wouldn't believe it. I am sad to say... the fat lady has sung.

It all began over a week ago, when I called Claudia and told her she might want to chuck the out of town wedding she was attending and instead, come back home to see Dad. He wasn't doing well at all. Sure enough she and Barry high tailed it back here and for the next four days, Dad declined until finally, last Tuesday, he passed away. We spent those days by his bedside, singing to him, holding his hand, kissing him, and keeping a close eye on him. His nurses were amazingly wonderful, having coddled and pampered him for the past four months. They did the same during his last several days, with all the angelic care I could have ever hoped for. Thankfully, Dad died in peace and in comfort. Indeed, he was ready.

I can't even begin to describe the crazy ass things that were going on during those days, but suffice it to say, we were this close to taking Laura's advice to call GhostBusters.

If there's something straaaaange...
In your neighborhood;
Who ya gonna calllll?
GHOOOOOSTBUSTERS!

Perhaps Bill Murray could have given us a clue as to whether or not Mom was REALLY in Dad's room. Which actually, is pretty much what we assumed given lights were flickering for hours, Dad was into heavy into talking to Mom and Bob and at one point, he even had an item in his hand that he could NEVER have gotten himself, yet no one ELSE got it for him, either. Don't ask. It was nuts. I had even gotten to a point where, given Dad was in major conversations with Mom, that I was almost tempted to ask him to ask her, what she thought of me as a blond! Those last days were mysterious, comforting, surprising and sad, all rolled into one.

In any case, if there IS any silver lining, other than Dad no longer having to suffer, it was that Zachary was up here for four days and I so loved being with him. He listened to me practice the eulogy I gave for Dad, we hung out with family and friends, we went to Friday night services and basically did what I guess others do during and after a funeral. I am so glad he grew up knowing both his grandparents and more importantly, having his grandparents know him. He's got 25 years of memories of being with them and all of them are happy and wonderful.

I, of course, have way more years of having known and loved my parents and frankly, I am one lucky woman. My parents provided me with a loving home in which to grow up, and gave me love, security, balance and safety. My Dad was all that a child could have asked for in a father and then some. His life was never the same without my Mother, thus if by any luck, he is now back with her and my brother... then my prayers will surely be answered. For I just KNOW how much he'd treasure such a reunion. It would be the first time in YEARS, that his laughter and smile would be genuine, once again. I hope you're with them, Dad. I love you. I always will.

No comments: