10/29/07

KISSIN' COUSINS

It really kills me, because the other day I had this fantastic topic about which to write. Yet now that I'm here at the computer... boom. The idea is WAY out in la-la land. For the life of me, I can't remember what the hell it was; which is too bad, because I DO remember it was one that tickled my fancy quite a bit. So much for my moment of genius.
However, it really doesn't matter, because today something quite lovely occurred. Thus instead, I'll write about THAT. Get this... I met a branch of my family that I NEVER EVEN KNEW BEFORE! I guess you'd call Barbara my second cousin since she's the daughter of my ORIGINAL cousin. Or something like that. So, if Barbara is my second cousin, then HER daughter, Sarah, is my third cousin and wow. That's REALLY nuts. THIS family tree has branches I never even iMAGined I'd ever see.

As it happens, Barbara, her hubby and her daughter live in Raleigh. Who knew? Thus, when Barbara and her daughter had to come my way for a business deal of some sort, they decided to look us up. Bingo. We made arrangements to meet! Turns out Claudia offered to make lunch for all of us so you have to know I was up for this reunion from the get go. Cousins or no cousins. YIPPEE! LUNCH!

I can't tell you what a treat it was to see them! As soon as Barbara walked in, I knew IMMEDIATELY she was Joanie's daughter. SHE LOOKS JUST LIKE HER! If anyone needs proof of the power of genetics, this mother/daughter duo would resolve the question lickety split. Anyway, it took no time at all to begin enjoying the company of my new found cousins. They were warm, funny, friendly and interesting. And, I must say Sarah was a mouthful of information. My kinda gal, actually. She's an adorable 13 year old who... if you have any family secrets, by the way... DON'T TELL HER. She'll apparently be more than happy to share all kinds of info at the drop of a hat. Even info you're not so crazy about sharing. Which, now that I think about it, makes her all the MORE my kinda gal.
What I found REALLY interesting however, was the fact that Barbara's father... the key person in this particular cousin lineage set up... died of medical problems that pretty much possibly coincided with my own brother's medical situation from which HE died. I couldn't believe it! It seems there just might be a gene from my Mother and my Aunt that COULD have MAYbe contributed to these early deaths. Barbara of course took the time and energy to explore this possibility. I, in fact, didn't. But, trust me... the next time I'm lined up for a physical, I'm DEFINITELY signing up for the blood test that Barbara mentioned.

What a great treat it is to meet someone new in your family! Especially if you're almost 60. For, if you're like me... you can never have too many kinsfolk from whom to choose, should you ever be thrown out on the street and need an ancestor or two from whom to mooch. ParTICularly if they're rich, famous, or influential. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed) On the other hand, you can also never have too many relatives with whom you have so much in common... especially if that means fun, smiles and lots of laughter. Welcome to the family, Barbara and Sarah! It's great to know you!

No comments: