6/13/08

I'M A RADICAL??

I was a young college co-ed in the days of all sorts of demonstrations. Civil rights, anti-war, pro-abortion, free sex, etc. I was even around, during the earlier days when radio stations were actually breaking in half, Elvis Presley 45's records because they feared rock and roll would literally destroy the minds of teen-agers. Not to mention it could cause... heaven forbid... sexual activity. Now that I think of it, I should have warned them. Forget about the music bringing on premarital sex... we had already primo drugs to do THAT job for us.

Anyway, with all these demonstrations and even riots, there were plenty of radicals bouncing along the streets. Radicals in every venue possibly known to man. Often, I found these folks to be a bit too extreme for my particular comfort zone, but then again, I was a sorta upper classed, pretty much sheltered, college student, way too willing to do whatever it was that I was told. You've heard of the Stepford wives?? Uh...that was me, but a Stepford Student, instead.

Regardless... while watching the news tonight, I came up with an idea that frankly, sort of frightened me that I even thought of it! As in: EEEKS... that's a mighty crazy, radical idea you've got going there, Linda. The idea that raced through my head?? Get this...

While watching some sort of old guy, not particularly sophisticated nor particularly educated, I listened to him as he told why it was he was voting for a certain candidate. As I listened to him, I wasn't so much troubled by his choice for President (though he IS voting for the wrong person) as I was by the reasons he was giving for said choice. IT WAS RIGHT THEN that my scary, radical, crazy ass thought entered my head - NEW RULE: IF YOU'RE AN IDIOT, YOU CAN'T VOTE. How's THAT for wiping out more that 50% of the voting population?


Anyway, my radicalism went even farther. To be sure you're NOT an idiot, I created my personal, radical barometer: you've got to have AT LEAST not only a high school diploma, but in addition, have at least a B- average upon graduation! Naturally, I'd sorta like to ratchet up the stakes by considering the need for a college degree... but then I reclaimed my senses and realized that's DEFinitely a bit out of the box.


My thinking is: to escape my fear of our country ever re-electing a total a-hole, along the lines of George Dubbya, let's say, let's get some sort of control of the voters. As in: Okay... vote for whomever you like... BUT, if you can tell me that you've got SOME sort of brains (ergo: decent grade average and high school diploma) and then you STILL vote for an ass, okay then. So be it. HOWEVER, to let EVERY idiot become a part of the voting community, well then... hold on a second, here buddy boy. I then have a whole new worry. As in: what if there are way more idiots than high school grads, then YIKES. All the idiots then basically have way too much power in overriding the vote of those meeting my radical standards. ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE.

I know... I know... this sort of thinking on my part is a really scary approach. It allows for a lot of bias, prejudice, elitism, law suits, etc. I could be shot for even suggesting it. On the other hand... given the complicated world we live in, and given the fact that wisdom in choice is so very important, why CAN'T we have some sort of intellectual standard?? Why CAN'T we set the bar a bit higher than merely reaching the age of majority? Okay... so don't shoot me. I get bizarre ideas, granted. On the other hand, before you elect another Bush Boy, perhaps you better check this out, regardless of your high school GPA. I'm Voting Republican Oh yeah... and don't write to yell at me. Am SO not into a war of words.

No comments: