6/20/08

AM ON THE MAP

I'm a tourist stop this weekend. Well, not ME, per se, but the house, two doors down from me. All kinds of people have been working there for the past month, to prep for this weekend's festivities. In fact, in about an hour, two friends and I are headed over there to check it out.

The house in question is new, and for sale. And, since it is still empty, a bunch of organizations selected it as their Showcase House for a very interesting event. Get this... the entire house... pretty big, I might add... has now been decorated completely with Thrift Store items. The whole house! Can you imagine?? Anyway, your first pay your entry fee, you walk in, to case out the house, and then bingo. Should you eventually want to purchase a decorative item, Bingo. They'll happily take your money from you. All proceeds going to some charity, I suspect.

Okay. So they're having this wonderful event. In the meantime, care to guess just how many cars are PARKED ALL DAY LONG, UP AND DOWN MY STREET?? IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE?? Don't ask. You wouldn't believe it. All of a sudden, I'm a snappy tourist stop. They even have these van like buses that bring people in and out of my development all day long! Is that crazy or what?? Actually, should I ever want to become REALLY infamous, I guess I could make a huge sign, plop it right smack onto my front lawn, and encourage the folks to: COME IN, FREE. MEET THE ONE, THE ONLY... WOMAN OF ALL THINGS EXCEPTIONAL. Which reminds me... if some tall, dark, astoundingly handsome gentleman should walk through the door, I might then be happy to entice him into something REALLY exceptional. Never say never.

When I went outside, late last Thursday afternoon, in my crappiest clothing ever, to water all my front lawn plants, I had no idea there was a sort of PRE EVENT dealie about to begin ... a cocktail party for the organizations' big shots, I guess. I sort of felt badly that I had to be the first person they saw since I was SO not a welcoming sight. In fact, I was way more UNsightly. But... after the first 25 cars parked right smack in front of me, I sorta began to get the idea.

I have two more days of this touristy bit, to go through yet. I can't really bitch, however, since for all I know, it's a one time event AND it's making money for good causes. BUT... if they DO have an event here next year, you can be SURE I'll be having the biggest garage sale you ever f-ing saw. Can you IMAGINE the hordes of customers I'd get?? The house near me will be raising money for their own selfless benefit. I, on the other hand, will be raising money for my OWN personal benefit. Soooo damn typical of me. But... interesting financial strategy, nonetheless.

No comments: