7/27/08

SPACED OUT

Five years ago, when I bought my computer, I thought I was on cloud nine. I even had the audacity to imagine I had all the bells and whistles I'd EVER need. Boy, was I barking up the wrong tree.

Turns out, that when I made that purchase, way back then, the thought of a WHOLE BIG 28 gigabytes of hard drive space was for SURE, going to keep me in good stead for ever. What a jerk I was. Here I am, five years later... with not even enough hard drive left on my computer to deFRAG the darn thing! Where did all the space GO, anyway?? Ummm... apparently, I didn't have a digital camera nor iTunes way back then. Not to mention the hordes of other applications I've since downloaded.

Enter: New Computer! YIPPEE. I called Mitch last week, told him to mosey on over here and let's sit down to go over specs for ordering a new Dell processor. We went online, he told me exactly what to buy, we placed the order, he came over a few days later, set up the new processor, installed programs and migrated data from the old hard drive to the new, and WHAMMO. I'm now computing with a drive that has... get this... 250 gigabytes of free space!! And, 3 megabytes of memory. And, I've got dual processors. Plus, a read/write CD and DVD. Now, if THIS doesn't last me a nice lonnnnng while, then for sure, I'm up the creek.

So far, I'm loving the machine. Of course, it took me four full days to find the light for the CAPS key, but whatever. I've been sitting in front of this deal for the past three days like a major geek, going through my C:/ directory, organizing it to make sure I have all the data and software right smack where it's supposed to be. Which reminds me... I was a MAJOR idiot for not having first backed up several important files before Mitch did the migrating bit, but THAT I'll just have to live with. I'm not going to let a simple thing like losing all my registration numbers for all SORTS of applications deter me from adoring my new computer. I SHOULD let it, but I'm not. Talk about stuffing one's head deep into the sand.

So, given this brand new set up, pretty spiffy and all, you'd almost think that from now on, my entries should be kinda spiffy, TOO. Well... THAT I can't promise. But, I DO promise to whip them out as fast as I can, since now, my brain is working at top speed and the computer is processing at even topper speed. (like my new vocabulary invention?) I promise to enjoy all the gadgets I've got going here and I especially promise never to do away with one hard drive before I back up important files from the old hard drive. Talk about being a quick learner! Even now, though, I can't beLIEVE I forgot to do that. I'm so not happy for instance, that all my icon programs/files are kaput. You have NO idea how I miss my Elvis shortcut icon pointing me to where else? Why to my music files, of course!! Long live the King. Who, now that I think of it, was also pretty spaced out.

No comments: