8/5/06

OLDIE GOLDIE

It's scary... I'm getting old and I know it. I can't believe what I just made myself for dinner. CHICKEN BREASTS!! Never in my entire life did I EVER have a yen for chicken. Were I to come to YOUR house and be served chicken, I'd down it with sheer delight. But for me to make it for mySELF?? Never. I am, always was, and always be a steak and potato kind of gal. At least until 6 months ago, anyway. Which to me, signals my getting old.

Another signal of note, is the fact I no longer leave my A.C. at a cool, comfy 71 degrees. I can easily get by, upping the temp several notches. Were my son still living at home, he'd freak. Summer would most definitely render the thermostat at a constant 68 degrees, with the overhead fan blasting directly on him. No wonder. He's young.

Add all this to the fact I no longer consider 8 o'clock dinner time, and boom. I'm a major blue haired senior citizen. By 6 o'clock my stomach is raring to go. Besides, dining at that hour leaves me plenty of time for after dinner snacking. I just can't believe it. For YEARS I was happy to go out later. Happy to eat later. And happy to stay out later. No more, my friend.

Before my rapid aging process struck with such vengeance, I used to know faces of all the celebs, words to the latest songs, when award shows were on, and who the hottest designers were. Today, I hardly know Brittany Spears from Jessica Simpson. I have no clue what Lindsey Lohan looks like. Actually, I'm impressed I even know their names. Chet Huntley... now, that's more my speed.

What's scary, is that all this happened within a few short years. It's like one minute I'm still young at heart and then POW. The next minute, I'm turning into my parents. If I had to guess, I'd say it took about three short years for me to age a fast 10. What the hell's going on here?

And, let's not forget my getting up 3x a night to use the bathroom. Nor my driving at almost the exact posted speed limit. Nor the ever popular... forgetting what the hell I'm talking about, right in the middle of a sentence! Don't even get me started on the television volume. Suffice it to say, by the time Medicare kicks in, I'll be prepped for it, but good.

No comments: