7/18/06

ON DEMAND

When my son was born, I made my decision right then and there, that I would attend to him "on demand". I would feed him whenever he wanted, let him sleep as long as he wanted and pick him up whenever he wanted. For instance... to me, waking a sleeping baby borders on abuse. If the baby were REALLY finished sleeping, then the baby would be up! If a baby is crying, who in their right mind would just let the baby cry for fear of spoiling it?? Give me a break... IT'S A BABY. Hold it. Help it. Coddle it. Love it.

I'm the type who almost point daggers at those mothers who are into "training" their infants. Are they kidding?? Training 3 month olds?? That's crazy. "Sorry my sweet baby... I know you're hungry and crying but you've still got another hour and a half before I'll give you your next bottle, so uh... deal with it!" Geez... you've GOT to be kidding.


Therefore, my baby's wish was basically my command. For which I have to thank him. I decided way back then that if "on demand" was good enough for my baby, then by all means, it was good enough for me, too. Thus, to this day, I nap if I'm tired. I eat if I'm hungry. I forget about chores if I'm not in the right mindset. And, best of all, I hire help if I don't feel like doing it myself. When you get right down to it, pampering my baby was my delight; now that my baby is grown, pampering MYSELF has become my delight.

Ironically however, I am far from a demanding woman. Go figure.

No comments: