12/22/11

KINDERGARTEN ART

Ever wonder what I do during my down time?? Well, here's your part of your answer. I've spent the past month taking perfectly fine furniture from around my house and redesigning it. Well... maybe design is too lofty a word. Let's just say I  painted it... about as well as any talented kindergartner would.

Regardless, the painting served my purpose. First... I decided that I had too much dark wood in my family room and second... I had to find something to keep my hands busy. Enter: the painting project.

You get to see the finished product up there in the picture. I have to say, btw... I kinda like the way it turned out. Granted, my expectations were that of a mere five year old so basically, almost ANYthing would have pleased me. Yeah, I know. My standards are apparently pretty base.

Anyway... I went to my super duper, we carry anything from hair spray to tires store, and selected about 15 colors of acrylic paints. I had a slew of paint brushes already in my craft closet plus I of course had the furniture. So bingo. I had all my needed supplies. I had a pretty good studio set up, too.

As in: sitting in the recliner, having the TV on, and all my supplies gathered at my feet and/or upon the neighboring tables. The diet coke, telephone and ashtray were already in their designated places. So yippee. I was ready to roll.

Every night for the past few weeks, I settled into my art project. Got to see plenty of TV shows that normally I'd never have seen, too. Take today for instance. On the REELZ channel I happened across a four hour movie entitled JACQUELINE BOUVIER KENNEDY ONASSIS. Are you kidding me?? Who the hell knew THAT was on. Or that this movie was ever MADE? OMG... I was in sheer heaven. Of course I've already read enough about Jackie to know every minute detail of her life but who cares. The actress, whomever she is, got Jackie's speaking voice down pat, btw. Very impressive.

Anyway, slowly but surely these two art pieces came together. Which is a problem since NOW I have to figure out what ELSE I can possibly paint during my down time. There was actually a time, btw, that my family used to say: DON'T STAND STILL... MOM MIGHT PAINT YOU. Apparently I have a reputation.

Which is true. But it's a GOOD reputation if you ask me. I've got things all OVER my walls of things I've created. And... lots of people have their favorites, too. Claudia loves my painting of a woman that I did the weekend before I had surgery six years ago. Plus she loves the colored tissue paper project I have hanging in my guest bathroom. My son loves my Jackson Pollack lookalike painting that hangs here, in the computer room. Susan loves... hmmm.. wait I forget now what her favorite is but whatever. MY favorite is the 3 foot long scissors I painted in a folk art style honoring my Mother's sewing abilities. Another friend likes the huge pretend LeRoy Neiman portrait of myself that's above my sofa.

On the other hand... don't ask my family what they thought of the two and a half foot paper mache' RABBIT FAMILY OF FOUR I once painted about 25 years ago. They all HATED that. Ask them. They'll tell you. Just say: so what'd you think of Mom's Rabbit Family??

And then get ready for the loudest groans you ever heard.  

No comments: