1/21/07

BLOWING

Okay. Good. I've got your attention. Sorry to disappoint but the blowing I'm referring to is: blowing my hair out. Pretty soon I'm going to be blowing my brains out. It takes way longer than the normal 6 minutes I usually want to spend primping and fussing. Add another 6 minutes for finding something to wear, putting it on, adding the right accessories and bingo. I'm done with my prep work in what? A short 12 minutes.

But NOW, jeez... I've got all kinds of crapola I'm supposed to be doing for my locks. First, work in the volumizing cream. Second, gather the huge round brush and blow dryer. Third, spend 10 minutes blowing it out. Fourth, comb it out. Fifth, tease a bit and fluff it out. Sixth set the style and finally, Seventh, add a bit of finishing spray. THIS IS CRAZY! You have any idea how long this TAKES?? Wayyyyyy longer than my preferable routine of parting hair, comb it out, pull it back, add a scrunchie. I am so telling you... I'm thinking of firing my housekeeper and instead, hiring an on site beautician.

Which is why today, I tried an experiment. I got out of the shower, added the volumizing cream and then... DID NOTHING ELSE. Not even comb it! Rather, I fingered... ahem, pardon the french... my hair into place and merely let it air dry. YIPPEE! SO MUCH FASTER. Not necessarily as sleek looking of course, but so be it. Years ago I paid big bucks for curly hair, given I love curls so much, therefore this "loose" natural look just may be the ticket. And... it keeps right in step with my 6 minute rule!

Now... if only I could forgo the make-up bit. I am so jealous of friends who opt for the unmade, au naturale look. Yet, a tape keeps playing in my head whereby my Mother used to say: Uh... if movie stars need make-up, what makes you think YOU don't?? Therefore, from as far back as 16 years old, I apply make-up daily, before venturing out. As for needing the help of cosmetics, let me just say this: IT WORKS. Without it, I look crappy as hell. Some days, even bordering on scary. Besides, up until the age of 81, my mother always looked beautifully refined, impeccable and made up. Thus at my age, I guess I can, too. AND she blew out her hair every morning. So in the end... Mother Knows Best. Yet still I say, the bottom line: hair drying blows!

No comments: