2/1/09

THE HARDY BOY

See this man? He's a Hardy Boy and is a pretty damn famous one, at that. And trust me, I'm not talking about one of THOSE Hardy Boys, either. This guy works by himself. As in: poet and author. As in: Thomas Hardy, highly acclaimed in the world of fine literature.

I've gotta give this guy credit, for you can't beLIEVE what a fabulous story he's written. Like back in the 1890's actually. Well, if you want to REALLY get technical he's wrote LOTS of famous stories and poems way back then, and people all over the world apparently study this man as if he invented literature single handedly, all by himself.

Anyway, he wrote a novel entitled Tess of the d’Urbervilles and if you haven't read it, then DEFintely check out PBS Masterpiece Theater and at least WATCH it. You will thank me forever!! It's fabulous.

As it happens, I have my DVR set to record ALL Masterpiece Theaters and finally, today was the perfect time to be absolutely lazy and spend a couple of hours merely lying in bed, prepped to happily watch Tess. Now HERE is an outstanding love story if ever there was one! I was SO in my glory. In fact, the shows were two hours each, so I have only seen the first part. I can hardly WAIT to the see the second. I have no clue where this story is going to lead nor how it's going to end. But, talk about an attention getter!

Another famous novel that Hardy has written is called The Mayor of Casterbridge and I remember being in either the 8th or 9th grade, having been assigned the book on our reading list. Oh, I read it alright, but there is NO way it captured my attention the way Tess did. In fact, I can't even tell you one solid piece of info about it. However, I guess now, I'll have to back track and re-read the Mayor deal, for it's anything like Tess, then count me in
.

Anyway, I am so enamoured with this Tess story, it's amazing. The acting is right up my alley, set in England, which also right up my alley. And, it takes place during the Victorian times, which is SURELY up my alley. Basically, I have to highly recommend this book or if you're lazy like me, then catch the Masterpiece adaptation. Besides, I'm always intrigued by women who struggle with drudgery for years and years only to pull themselves up from the ashes to become something like the mistress of a phenomenal manor or the like. SO not like me.


I expect to autoMATcially be the mistress of the manor by simply having it handed to me. On a silver platter, no less. Like, I'm actually entitled to it or something. For believe me... if ever I had to work like a dog in the most horrrible of circumstances, living like a slave pauper, to help feed me and/or my family... uh... sorry. We are DEFINITELY dead meat. Besides, I am not real heavy into ruining my fresh manicures.

No comments: