2/16/09

DISCOVERY CHANNEL

I made a great discovery today. And it's SO up my alley. Actually, I didn't make the discovery... I stumbled upon it... basically because I often love to check out channels 350 and 351 to see what's doing in the U.S. Senate and/or House of Representatives. Which I did today. Except... oops. Today was President's Day, so uh... no one was in session. That's the bad news. The good news is, something even BETTER was on. So much better, in fact, that I directed my DVR to record the entire series.

First of all however, I have to say that just yesterday, I returned from Ft. Lauderdale where I had the most fabulous time ever. It was Elliot's first birthday and/or Valentine's Day without Linda, thus the family and I wanted it to be a really happy day. Which it was... but was certainly no better than the really happy days I had while I was there. My list could go on and on about my wonderful visit, but the item that matters most for now, is that Elliot took me to see FROST/NIXON. Which naturally, delighted me to no end. I loved this movie. Which is funny, because I absolutely hated Nixon.

In the meantime, given I had ex Presidents on my mind, what should I find on CSPAN-2 during today's recess from Congress, but this show called BOOK TV. I am so telling you... I AM IN HEAVEN. Apparently all this afternoon and evening, they are showing book discussions by a whole bunch of authors who wrote books about a whole bunch of Presidents. Is this not for me, or WHAT? I missed the beginning of Franklin and Lucy, damnit, which was too bad since it dealt with all the affairs Franklin had in his lifetime. DEFinitely up my alley. Besides, I already own this book, and loved every minute of reading it. Anyway, after watching the second half, I saw that the NEXT book to be discussed was going to be about LBJ, JFK, RMN and the 1960 election. This is like way too good to be true. I can't WAIT to view ALL the shows. I HIGHly recommend this deal.


And... this discovery of mine couldn't have come at a more opportune time for I am THIS close to kissing off HBO and all the other premium movie channels. Have you any idea how OLD the movies are nowadays? And, how OFTEN they repeat them? Am ready to give those channels the boot for good!

Of course, then I'd be up the creek a bit. As in: EEKS. WHAT?? NO MORE BIG LOVE? NO MORE BILL MAHER? Hmmm... I can see already I'll be heavy into grabbing the DVD series for these guys. Doesn't matter though. I'll be spending WAY more time loving BOOK TV. Yippee.

No comments: