6/15/06

I'M LIVING IN A MECHANICAL WORLD... Barely

Madonna lives in a Material World. I apparently live in a Mechanically-Charged High Tech World. I've just spent 6 unconsectutive hours in the past 24, getting my Norton Virus software downloaded and installed. Huh? 6 hours?? The first time I tried installing the program, t'was a no go. The first time I tried running it, I was told I needed 9 new updates. (another 45 mins., I might add) Then, after I WAS up, running and completely protected, my provider's screen alerted me that my firewall was not functioning.

Bottom line? I have now have a whole new vocabulary which I never even KNEW to teach my son when he was a child. Examples: software, downloading, ISP, DSL, and of course, blogging. Not to mention: the Internet, itself. On the other hand, when my son was but about 14, he not only KNEW these vocabulary words, but was WAY ahead of me in putting them to actual use.

Days spent like this remind me of last week, when I spent hours seeking flight schedules, pressing phone buttons, chatting free with folks in India, and logging on, to print out boarding passes. Which probably totaled yet ANOTHER 6 hours of living in my High Tech World. No WONDER I have no time to actually get a job.