5/25/10

A FIRST BIRTHDAY


Oh man... am I ever in big trouble. After many years of having Pat as practically the most important woman in my life, boom. She and her husband decide they're going to be buying a double wide mobile home set up and MOVE. As in: LEAVE MY CITY. Also as in: OMG... WHAT DO I DO NOW???

I can't even beGIN to tell you how heartsick I am. Oh sure... I could be happy for Pat, and wish her all the best and even be thrilled she and her husband will enjoy all the glories of kinda retiring. But... uh... NO. I CAN'T. How CAN I? How can I POSSIBLY be gracious when I will no longer have my right hand man to help me with ALL the things Pat does for me?? WHAT? I have to now issue my checks MYSELF? I have to hit the grocery store MYSELF? I have to now pick up my scripts MYSELF? Are you kidding me?? As in: I ACTUALLY HAVE BECOME A NORMAL PERSON, doing all my errands MYSELF???? Oh God. Just shoot me now.

It's been about five years now that Pat has been with me and believe you me... I'm SO going to be lost without her. I'm going to miss her so much, in fact, that as soon as she said a couple weeks ago she's NEVER, in all her 63 years, ever had a birthday party, boom. I told her I'm taking her to lunch at the country club and we're going to CELEBRATE. She was actually sort of happy with that set up, too.

But what she DIDN'T know was, that as soon as she left that afternoon, I immediately got on the phone and called six other women for whom she works and I said: GUESS WHAT?? SURPRISE PARTY!! PAT! BE THERE! BYE... TALK TO YOU LATER. Whammo. The deed was done. Plans for Pat's first birthday party was underway.

I did the luncheon. Barbara ordered the cake. Wilma bought the party favors and the country club did the cooking. WHAT COULD BE BETTER??? I am so telling you... when Pat walked in and saw the girls, calling out, SUPRISE, she was definitely thrilled!! Hell, I was thrilled FOR her! Oh yeah... I also decided we should all get separate gifts, so of course Pat would have plenty to open. Thus... we ate scrumptious food, sang Happy Birthday, watched Pat blow out her candles and then open her gifts. I sorta have to tell you... we really had a FABulous time!

Awwww... a first birthday. Now who doesn't get a smile from THAT? Happy Birthday Pat!! And by the way, PLEASE DON'T GO.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is the sweetest thing EVER!! I know she was just delighted and will never forget her first birthday party!!
ox
Susie